Thursday, January 22, 2009

Learn Something New Everyday...

Had to take Evan to the pediatrician this morning for a problem with his [ahem] private part. He woke up at 2:30 this morning crying because it was raw. Poor kid. We wanted to make sure there was no infection.

Everything's fine, normal. No worries.

The doctor called the white stuff we thought was possible infection "smegma."

And I laughed out loud. [Yeah, I'm mature...]

"Is that a real word?" I asked.

[Because we tend to use it quite often in a house full of boys to refer to any gross unknown bodily secretion that may be found around here. You know, the stray boogies, balls of ear wax, and drool that is a part of every day life. Although, who knew we were pronouncing it incorrectly all this time?? Prior to this morning, we called it "schmegma" - but, maybe we'll keep saying it like that...I think I like it better...]

The doctor laughed with me and said yes.

So, I googled it.

Here's what I found on wikipedia:

Smegma, from the Greek smēchein (to clean)[1], is a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture; a secretion from mammalian genitals

{blush}

I'm going to pretend I didn't learn the real meaning of this word today.

1 comment:

Momma-of-5 said...

Oh my gosh, Amy...I'm crying, I'm laughing so hard! That's hysterical. And what's even better is that you've shared it all with us...and now I'm blushing reading it...