This post is two years past due, but that's okay, because I still think it's worth sharing. All three boys shared a room [their choice] until three years ago when Evan decided he was old enough - at 8 - for his own room. We agreed and decided that the old nursery would be perfect. It was being used as an extra playroom for the boys [because they needed two??] and it was time.
Evan decided he wanted a Phillies room, so that's what we did...
We had to work with the white wainscoting around 3 of the 4 walls because we CERTAINLY weren't ripping that down after Mark installed it for the nursery decor. I hated painting over the alphabet and star border that I had so lovingly painted along the top of the ledge, but if you look ever so closely, you can still make out a letter or two under the fresh coat of Phillies blue paint [and I sanded them, too!]
I knew I wanted to incorporate an interactive scoreboard in the room. I searched high and low for something to purchase online. Everything I found was too small, too large, too expensive, not right, so I decided to create my own. Mark helped put together the templates and then brought home a projector so that I could tape it out on the wall. First I painted a large white square. Then, I projected the outline of the scoreboard and taped it off with painter's tape before giving it two coats of green.
The kids had fun helping pull off the painters tape to reveal the white lines underneath.
Then, I cut out numbers and words on my Cricut and used the negative space as stencils to fill in the numbers and words. I also purchased cheap plastic green pocket folders and white number stickers. I cut the folders into green rectangles to fit the scoreboard squares and assigned the numbers. I plan on adhering velcro dots to the wall and to the back of each number so that Evan can change the score as he watches or listens to the games. [I don't have a pic of the number cards so I'll have to update once I get this part done - hey, it's only been two years!!!!]
I projected the Phillies logo and Phillies 'P 'onto the wall to trace them out and then painted them.
I had these 12 x 12 canvases [doesn't everyone have them laying around? Oh, wait - that's just me...]. I decided to make some quick personalized art accents using paint and some scrapbooking supplies I had around. I really love how these turned out!
This desk has a story behind it. It was passed down from my parents' house so it had a few coats of paint on it and it was pretty banged up. I wish I had a BEFORE pic of it, because it was bad. I sanded it and painted it dark blue. The top had some weird thing on it that showed through the paint, so Mark decided to sand it down again and repaint it. Except when he sanded it down, we saw this beautiful wood top and I had the brilliant idea to make it look like a wooden bat on the top and leave the rest painted. Mark remembers this story VERY differently and claims that it was his brilliant idea to do that. I'm just setting the record straight, people!!!!!
I will give Mark all the credit for working up the Louisville Slugger stencil on the computer and finishing off the top to look AMAZING! I really think that's what makes the room complete. He even put Evan's birth year on the "bat" - 2003. Love it!!
This was Evan's very first night in his new bedroom. I think he loves it, too!