Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Bringing Home the Moon

Tomorrow is a REALLY BIG day for Evan. Tomorrow he begins preschool 3 days/week. I cannot believe my little guy is going to school - I guess it's going to be a really big day for me too! We went last Tuesday to the "sneak-a-peek" to see his classroom and meet his teacher. He got to color a picture of himself while we were there and of course, I had to take a picture...he's so cute, isn't he?

He seems to be pretty excited about tomorrow, but I'm a little nervous about how he'll react to mom leaving. I'm hoping he'll be fine, but sometimes he gets shy in new situations (for about 5 minutes!). When Mark & I went to Open House last week, Evan's teacher, Mrs. Mellinger, shared with the parents all the things that they'll be doing as a class. Evan will be presenting his poster about himself (his 1st homework assignment) and sharing lots of other things in front of his classmates. Just thinking about this made me kind of sad...my little boy is going to be "on his own" in these situations and I won't be there to see him shine. Don't get me wrong...I am SO excited that he's going to be learning new things and having new experiences but it's bittersweet because it means that the separation from mommy & daddy and the blossoming into his own person is already beginning.

Just last week, on the way home from Grandma & Pop-Pop "with no beard & with no pool"(this is truly how he identifies the grandparents) 's house and there was a full moon. I was driving and Evan & Ryan were talking about the moon in the back seat - always amusing to just listen in to their conversations. Evan all of a sudden says to me, "Mom, we're bringing home the moon." I laughed and agreed with him. It brought back so many memories for me - coming home from my grandparents house and watching the moon seemingly follow us all the way from their house to ours. I always thought it was so amazing that the moon would follow US! I love that Evan thinks the same thing - makes me marvel at his innocence and imagination. I hope that my little boy can keep these little boy thoughts for as long as possible, even though he is starting school. We'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

1 comment:

Jill McLaughlin said...

Just stopping by...how was evan's first day of school?! I'm eagerly awaiting another post.