Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tandy Cake Recipe

If you're from the Philadelphia area, you know Tastykakes
{and their little jingle....Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a Tastykake...}

They make the best cupcakes:
Butterscotch Krimpets,
Chocolate Cupkakes,
& my favorite, Tandy Kakes: a chocolate & peanut butter covered cake
~ YUM!



I've had this recipe for a long time. My friend, Maureen's mom
gave it to me years ago and I only recently made it for the
first time. These taste exactly like the Tastykake brand
Tandy Kakes ~ hence the name.

Evan, Ryan, and I made them again today for a barbecue we're
going to later this afternoon. I think they'll be a hit!
Here's the recipe:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oil
pinch of salt
1 sm. jar of creamy peanut butter, approx. 2 cups
2 cups Hershey's chocolate chips

  1. Beat eggs until lemon in color
  2. Combine all ingredients, except peanut butter and chocolate; beat well
  3. Grease & flour jellyroll pan
  4. Pour batter into pan & bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
  5. While still warm, spread peanut butter on cake
  6. Refrigerate about 45 minutes
  7. Melt chocolate chips and spread on top of peanut butter
  8. Return to refrigerator to set chocolate
  9. Cut into squares and enjoy :)
* Must be stored in refrigerator *

6 comments:

Momma-of-5 said...

Amy - I got a similar recipe from our pastor's wife. SO YUM! I'd never had it before...now i'm addicted.

cassie said...

how did they come out? dd they really taste like tasty cakes?

Danielle said...

My mom has been making them for years. She often makes two pans full for family gatherings, and that's a lot of tandy cakes! Yum!! Looks like your boys had fun helping.

Kristin said...

This looks like a great recipe. I will have to take some time this weekend to see if I can alter it for Colin.
Your LO's in the previous post are awesome. Love the 2 pager!

KC said...

My mom used to make this all the time when I was growing up - it's so yummy! I made one with Sofia for the first time this summer and she loved it. Okay, we cheated a bit and just used a yellow cake mix but same idea :)

I just love your blog, Amy. Your posts always make me laugh or cry or think about life and relationships. That's just what a good blog should do I guess!

Unknown said...

Mmmm, looks delish!