Sunday, November 16, 2008

Confessions of a "Spurter"


I've decided I'm a "Spurter."

What is that? you say?

I'm pretty sure it's not a word, except in my own little world, so I get to define it however I want. :) hee-hee...
Websters Dictionary defines spurt as a verb that means to gush forth.

Therefore....

spurter (n): one who spurts, or works in spurts, as the mood, or inspiration, or energy strikes

This is how I work. I could go for weeks not doing something I love, like scrapbooking, and then, all of a sudden, I spurt. I look for every opportunity, every spare moment to scrapbook.

I won't clean the bathroom for weeks at a time [I know, gross!], turning a blind eye to the gunk forming around the sink drain until I get a spurt of "I need to clean the bathrooms" energy. And then I plow through it and they are sparkling again.


And unfortunately, that seems to be how I blog as well. I'll blog along great for a while ~ in a spurt ~ everything in my life seems "blogable" and interesting and funny. Then, I'll hit a wall and either not have the time, energy, or wittiness to blog on a regular basis [see the last month and a half! :)]

I spurt in my devotional life, my friendships, my parenting skills, my moods, my marriage, and countless other areas of my life. Thank God that He loves me anyway!!
I don't know if this is an inherited condition or just how I operate. I know that I drive my hubby crazy. Heck, I drive myself crazy sometimes, but after I've spurted, it feels so gratifying to know that I've completed something.
So, I have to ask, any other spurters out there?


Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 1 Corinthians 9:24 (NAS)

3 comments:

Megan said...

it must be inherited Amy!! I confess, I am a spurter too!!! (THANKS MOM!) Never could put a word to it, but I think that's the perfect description.

Cassie said...

I think if the word "spurter" was in the dictionary there would be a picture of me! Your description is me all the way. Thanks for giving it a name.

Unknown said...

I am SO a spurter and THANK YOU for putting a word to this crazy erratic behavior! ;-)
Looking forward to sharing our "spurts"!
Cyn