Monday, November 17, 2008

Aidan Jeffery McLaughlin


I know that many of you who read my blog might know this already, but for those who don't, I want to introduce you to my nephew, Aidan.

Aidan was born October 8, 2008, only 18 days before his due date.

He was a beautiful baby boy with a perfect little face. He had the cutest little button nose and heart shaped mouth. I'm sure that he would have been just as vivacious as my neice, Ava, his older sister.

Tragically, Aidan Jeffery will never be known on this earth, as the Lord took him to heaven before we could meet him. He died in utero due to an abnormal placenta and my sister, Jill, had to deliver him stillborn. It was one of the saddest days of my life to experience this pain with my sister and brother-in-law. To have to stand by their sides and watch them hold their baby boy who they'll never hear laugh or see run. To only begin to imagine their anguish, and to hopelessly wish to take it all away and make everything alright again. Even this is difficult for me to write, but I wanted to share Aidan's story with you.

Only a week after this happened, Jill and Brian held a beautiful memorial service for Aidan. The number of people who came was a testimony to the wonderful people my sister and brother-in law are. The church was packed ~ standing room only. God was present that night and the gospel was presented in a clear message. Brian shared his thoughts which you can read here. I had the privilege and honor to read Jill's letter to Aidan. Amazingly, I was able to get through the letter coherently. I know this was God's grace.

Almost six weeks have passed and I've watched God's grace fill up and sustain Jill and Brian through their pain and loss. They've had good days and some not-so-good days, but they know that God is leading them through this and will see them through it.

I've never been prouder of my youngest sister. She has taught me so much about faith and love and perserverance in these short weeks that at times has felt like a million years. It is in times like these that you see the strength of family bonds and true friendship. It also in times like this that you reevaluate what's really important in life.

Thank you to all you have been keeping our family in your prayers over this last month. We can literally feel the support you've given us and know that God is in all of this. Please continue to pray for comfort and peace and healing, especially as the holidays are coming. Love to all ~ Amy

3 comments:

Momma-of-5 said...

Amy, I'm so sorry! I think I already told you about her, but I've been reading a blog of the wife of one of the Selah bandmates. She gave birth to a baby girl that they knew was only going to live for a few hours:

www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com

Thanks for the update on your sister. I'll continue to pray...

Cassie said...

This is so heartbreaking. I'm reading your post, your sister's letter and brother-in-law's thoughts with tears in my eyes. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

Reading this made the tears pour forth from the very depth of my heart and soul! AS much as we love our children and KNOW that they really belong to God, I cannot imagine the pain, anguish, and longing they felt at having to hand their little one over so soon to the Lord! They are certainly in my prayers! Their words were so full of love, faith and hope! I know that they will have difficult days, but what an inspiration they are to everyone! What a testament they are! Thank you for sharing their story! Blessings to you all!
Faithfully His, Cyn