Thursday, February 19, 2009

Game Amnesia

I come from a long-line of gamers. My family always played games growing up. Scrabble, Monopoly, Life, Trouble, and Sorry were some favorites that we still enjoy.

Every Christmas morning, we'd find a new wrapped game at the top of the steps waiting for us. We thought it was a fun tradition to get a new game every year, but we've come to learn that our parents were just trying to buy some extra sleep-in time while we read the directions and tried to play the new game.

I've tried to uphold this tradition and hunt for a fun game every year ~ even before we had the boys. Some new favorites include Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Mexican Train, and Pictionary.

Two years ago, I was on a hunt for the game Balderdash - a favorite bluffing game we had played with friends on a ski trip. I couldn't find it anywhere ~ and I looked everywhere I could imagine. I even had my family looking for it, too. None of us could find it. I was quite disappointed. Christmas came and went without Balderdash under the tree.

Not long after, I found the game - in my own closet...


Yeah, I had had the game all along.

After spending all that time hunting it down in every store I could find.

This year, I found a nostalgic edition of Sorry packaged in a metal tin. I knew we had my hubby's old cardboard boxed version of the game already, but it was worn pretty thin and I didn't want to completely destroy it.

And I'm sold on anything packaged as "nostalgic."
Or in a metal tin for that matter.

Needless to say, this game found its way under our tree this year. It was opened, it was played, it was enjoyed by all [especially Ryan, who seems to be the Sorry Champion in our house lately].

And then, when it was time for all the Christmas gifts to find a new home, I found that we have yet ANOTHER Sorry game that I'd forgotten my brother got us last year for Christmas. It, too, is the "nostalgic" version, but it is in a really cool wooden box with a sliding lid.

Alas, we now have 3 Sorry games. Maybe we should have a tournament.


I have game amnesia. {Note to self: Check the game closet, make a list, check it twice}

Anyone want to play Sorry?

No comments: