Saturday, July 16, 2011

mmm, mmm....green


So, I'm on week three of the "Green Smoothie" diet.  I am not trying to lose weight....I'm just trying to be healthier.  I've replaced my lunch with a green smoothie everyday and take it from me, the "YUCK, are those vegetables? Girl" they taste pretty good.  And I certainly couldn't possibly eat all these greens in a salad....but I'm getting them in my smoothie no problem.

The most basic recipe:

1 cup of water
1 1/2 bananas, frozen in chunks
1 cup frozen berries
Blend the above ingredients until smooth.
Then add 5- 6 handfuls of spinach and blend until smooth.

It's best served COLD and as you acquire a taste for them, you can change it up.  I've made smoothies with blueberries, strawberries, peaches, apples, bananas, cherries, kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, and red leaf lettuce.  I use my regular old blender, which does a decent job, although if Mark and I are planning on doing this long-term, we're considering a MEGA-blender. 

Even my kids like these, which is saying something....

PROS:
*I have more energy
*I get fuller faster when I eat a regular meal
*I am feeling healthier
*My IBS symptoms are gone
*My seasonal allergies are lessened

CONS:
*Break-outs for the first 2 weeks
*Headaches for the first 2 weeks

If you're interested in learning more, I recommend The Green Smoothies Diet by Robyn Openshaw.  She's also known as "The Green Smoothie Girl" on the web.

No comments: